Always stop and think when making an international money transfer. Fraudsters try to appear legitimate, so it is important to be cautious. Here are some points that should help protect you:
- A bank or organisation will never contact you unexpectedly to ask for your PIN, full password or to move money to another account. Ignore anyone who requests you do this.
- A bank will not ask you to transfer money to a “safe” or “test” account, even if they say it is in your name.
- Always avoid clicking on a link or attachment from an unexpected email or text. This can give fraudsters access to your personal details.
- Ignore unsolicited approaches by phone, text message or email. Many investment scams will contact victims randomly.
- Never divulge card details to people you don’t know, even if they are suggesting you are a victim of fraud.
Under no circumstances should you be forced to make a financial decision on the spot. If you have any concerns, please take time to consider your actions. Visit “Take Five” for help at https://takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/.
Always make sure your passwords are strong and changed regularly. Examples can be found at https://www.cyberaware.gov.uk/.
If you’ve been the victim of a scam, fraud or a cyber-crime through your Travelex Wire account, please contact us immediately during business hours; phone numbers are shown on the Wire contact page. Or, outside business hours, please message us through the online web chat feature available to you when you are logged in to your Travelex Wire account, or email us on email@example.com.
You should also tell your bank or financial services provider. We advise you use the number on the back of your card.
Once you’ve done that, it’s also recommended that you report the fraud to your local police station and get a crime reference number. You should also report it with Action Fraud, especially if you’ve been targeted by a fraudster regarding an investment scam.
You can call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or contact them online at https://reporting.actionfraud.police.uk